World Food India
Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal has today said that World Food India 2019 will be the biggest gathering of all global and domestic stakeholders in Food Processing Sector.
More in news:
- WFI 2019 will be held from 1-4thNovember 2019 in New Delhi.
- The Minister informed the gathering that the second edition of World Food India is planned at a much bigger and grandeur level from 1-4 November 2019 at Vigyan Bhawan and Rajpath Lawns in New Delhi.
- World Food India 2019 shall consist of several top level seminars, investment opportunities, exhibitions, high level CEO roundtables, country sessions, B2B and B2G networking etc.
- For the year 2019, the Ministry is targeting to partner with at least 15 countries and participation from at least 80 countries. The tagline of the event will be “Forging Partnerships for Growth”.
Some important facts:
- The Minister said that Indian Food Processing Industry has grown tremendously recording 11% growth rate, which is twice the pace of Global Industry.
- The sector has recorded double digit growth rate across all major sub-segments of the sectors both in terms of value and volume.
- The processing levels in India is low at 7.7% behind several economies such as China, Malaysia and US.
- India’s share in global exports of processed food is only 2%. Besides, India also has a high share of harvest and post-harvest losses from major agricultural produces on account of poor storage, transportation and logistics to the extent of INR 92,651 Crores ($13 Billion)-3 times the agricultural budget.
- The government initiated a biennial event- World Food India to promote food processing sector at global level. It is a global event to facilitate domestic and global investments into food processing sector in India.
- The first such event was conducted in 2017 and received wide success. The event created Brand India in global food map by positioning India as a World Food Factory.
- It was for the first time in India that all major policy makers and top industrialists across the globe in Food Processing Industries were together under one roof.
- World Food India 2017 had witnessed presence of India’s top political leadership including the President of India,the Prime Minister, theFinance and Commerce & Industry Minister. CEOs roundtables with Prime Minister, Finance Minister, and Commerce & Industry Minister were the key highlight covering various aspect related to business be it strategic, finance/investment or trade.
- World Food India 2017witnessed the participation of 61 countries, ministers from several countries and India, Chief Ministers of various Indian states, 60 Global CEOs and eminent academicians attended the event. The event saw a footfall of more than 75,000 more than 8,000 B2B meetings and signing of MoUs worth USD 14 Billion.
India will lead by example in combating desertification: Union Environment Minister
Union Environment Minister today was speaking at an event in New Delhi on the occasion of World Day to combat desertification and drought, he announced that India will be hosting the fourteenth session of Conference of Parties (COP – 14) from 29th August – 14th September 2019.
- About 30% of country’s total geographical area being affected by land degradation.
- various schemes have been launched by the Government of India which are helping to reduce land degradation such as:
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
- Soil Health Card Scheme,
- Soil Health Management Scheme,
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojna (PKSY)
- Per Drop More Crop etc.
- The Union Minister also launched a flagship project on enhancing capacity on forest landscape restoration (FLR) and Bonn Challenge in India, through a pilot phase of 3.5 years implemented in the States of Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Nagaland and Karnataka.
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in partnership with The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), through this flagship project aims to develop and adapt best practices and monitoring protocols for the Indian states and build capacity within the five pilot states on FLR and Bonn Challenge.
- This will be eventually scaled up across the country through subsequent phases of the project.
- The Bonn Challenge is a global effort to bring 150 million hectares of the world’s deforested and degraded land into restoration by 2020, and 350 million hectares by 2030.
- At the UNFCC Conference of the Parties (COP) 2015 in Paris, India also joined the voluntary Bonn Challenge pledge to bring into restoration 13 million hectares of degraded and deforested land by the year 2020, and additional 8 million hectares by 2030. India’s pledge is one of the largest in Asia.
- United Nations has 3 Rio Conventions namely, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD).
- Established in 1994, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is the only legally binding international agreement linking environment and development issues to the land agenda.
- In 1994, the United Nations General Assembly declared 17 June the “World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought” to promote public awareness and the implementation of the UNCCD in the desertification affected countries.
- India is hosting the Fourteenth session of Conference of Parties (COP – 14) from 29th August – 14th September 2019 at India Expo Mart Limited, Greater Noida. One of the primary functions of the COP is to review reports submitted by the Country Parties detailing how they are carrying out their commitments.
- India will take-over the COP presidency from China for two years until the next COP is hosted in 2021.
- Over 5,000 representatives from over 197 countries drawn from national, regional and local governments, science and research communities, the private sector, international and non-governmental organizations and all forms media will address the issue of combating desertification, land degradation and drought during the two-week event.
19total visits,3visits today