Cabinet approves dissolution of the Sixteenth Lok Sabha
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, today gave its approval to the Resolution advising the President to dissolve the Sixteenth Lok Sabha, which was constituted on 18.05.2014.
- Article 83(2) of the Constitution stipulates that the House of the People, unless sooner dissolved, shall continue for five years from the date appointed for its first meeting and no longer and the expiration of the said period of five years shall operate as dissolution of the House.
- The first meeting of the Sixteenth Lok Sabha was held on June 4, 2014, when members were administered oath and affirmation.
- The life of the present Lok Sabha is, therefore, to expire on June 3, 2019, unless the President dissolves it earlier
Eastern Command Unit Test- Fired BrahMos Missile from Car Nicobar Islands
A BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile was successfully test-fired by a Unit of Eastern Command, Indian Army from Car Nicobar Islands at 1450 hr on 22 May 2019 as part of joint training by Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force.
More in news:
- The launch of the BrahMos missile involved coordination with large number of agencies for a successful and smooth conduct of firing. It was a cohesive effort of all three services demonstrating high standards of Inter Service Synergy.
- BrahMos missile has by now established itself as a major ‘Force Multiplier’ in modern day battlefield with impeccable multi role and multi platform launch capabilities furthering the confidence amongst our troops.
Sahara – A Hostel for the Veer Naris
Lt Governor of Delhi inaugurated the Sahara Naval Hostel for the ‘Veer Naris’ at New Delhi,. Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM, ADC, Chief of the Naval Staff and Mrs Reena Lanba, President Naval Wives Welfare Association (NWWA) were also present.
- The unique project steered by the Indian Navy for ‘Naval Veer Naris’ has been built in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) partnership with National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC).
- The hostel addresses a long term need felt towards rehabilitation of Naval ‘Veer Naris’ and provide them a safe and secure environment which will help them rebuild their lives.
- The Sahara Hostel comprises compact suites equipped with all necessary amenities for dignified living, along with a common Dining Hall and a Community Hall.
- The office of the Naval Regimental System has also been co-located at the hostel for easy onsite assistance to the occupants of the Sahara Hostel.
Central government bans Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh and its manifestations
The Central Government vide notification dated 23rd May, 2019 has banned the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Hindustan and all its manifestations under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 35 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 with immediate effect.
- The notification states that the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh and its formations like Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Hindustan and their manifestations have committed acts of terrorism, promoted acts of terrorism and have been engaged in radicalisation and recruitment of youth(s) for terrorist activities in India.
Indian Delegation participates in Second SCO Mass Media Forum at Bishkek
The Second Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Mass Media Forum is being held at Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan from 23-26 May, 2019.
- A Delegation from I&B Ministry comprising of Shri TVK Reddy, Addl. Director General and Shri Ankur Lahoty, Asst. Director is representing India at the Forum. The Forum was inaugurated by the President of Kyrgyz Republic Mr. S. Jeenbeko.
- The Forum aims to strengthen the exchange and cooperation in the field of mass media amongst SCO countries.
- It offers a unique platform for active work through mass media to create an objective vision of the organization and strengthen its positive image in the global information space.
- The Delegation emphasized the need for media collaborations and exchange of best practices amongst the various mass media agencies, organizations and associations across the SCO partner states.
- The SCO Member States also adopted the Resolution of Media Forum which calls for establishing successful collaborations of Mass Media Organizations of the SCO member Countries.
- The first SCO Media Summit was held in Beijing on 1 June 2018. This event was held under the motto “Development of the “Shanghai Spirit” and opening of a new era in the mass media cooperation”, where over 110 media outlets from 16 countries participated, including the SCO Member States, Observer States and Dialogue Partners.
61total visits,1visits today