President of India Presents VayoshreshthaSammans
The President of India, Shri Ram NathKovind, presented the VayoshreshthaSammans – a scheme of National Awards for senior citizens of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in New Delhi.
- VayoshreshthaSamman is a Scheme of awards instituted by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (D/o Social Justice & Empowerment) and gradually upgraded to the status of National Awards, for institutions involved in rendering distinguished service for the cause of elderly persons especially indigent senior citizens and to eminent citizens in recognition of their service/achievements.
- These awards are presented as part of the celebration of the International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) on 1st
- The National Awards are intended to show case the Government’s concern for senior citizens and its commitment towards them with the aim of strengthening their legitimate place in the society.
- It is also intended to provide an opportunity to the younger generation to understand the contribution of the elderly in building of the society and the nation.
- The awards are intended to be conferred on eminent senior citizens and institutions involved in rendering distinguished services for the cause of elderly persons especially indigent senior citizens.
- The recipients are drawn from diverse fields. The Awards are given to institutions/organisations/individuals from any part of the country. Nominations are invited from Governmental and Non-Governmental Agencies.
- As per the Scheme, nominations are invited from Ministries/Departments of the Government of India and their autonomous organisations; State Governments/UT Administrations; past recipients of Padma Award; VayoshreshthaSamman and other National Awards in both individual and institutional categories; Members of the National Council for Senior Citizens; Renowned Apex Chambers like FICCI, CII, ASSOCHAM, NASSCOM, PHDCCI etc.
CATEGORIES OF THE AWARD
- 1. Best Institution for Research in the field of Ageing: For institutions with a record of outstanding work in research and dissemination of knowledge in the field of ageing. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.5 lakhs
- 2. Best Institution for providing services to Senior Citizens and Awareness Generation: For institutions with a record of providing services to the elderly, especially indigent senior citizens. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.5 lakhs.
- 3. Best District Panchayat in providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens:To the district Panchayats, which have done outstanding work for senior citizens. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.10 lakhs.
- 4. Best Urban Local Body in providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens: To municipal bodies, which have done outstanding work for senior citizens. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.10 lakhs.
- 5. Best State in implementing the Maintenance and Welfare of parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, and providing services and facilities to Senior Citizens:To the State or Union Territories which has taken a lead in implementing various provisions of the Act and has highest percentage of settlement of claims of maintenance or best security programme for elderly. The award carries a Citation and a Memento.
- 6. Best Private Sector Organisation in promoting the wellbeing and welfare of Senior Citizens: Corporate Houses, addressing the problems of elderly either by providing them gainful employment, or utilising their skills and experience to the benefit of the society or creating infrastructure in geriatric medical care or any other similar step for the benefit of senior citizens as a community. The activities undertaken for benefit of senior citizens should be away from the mainline business of the organization. The award carries a Citation and a Memento.
- 7. Best Public Sector Organisation in promoting the wellbeing and welfare of Senior Citizens: Public Sector Undertakings undertaking service to the community through activities under corporate social responsibility and also through programmes for retired employees. The award carries a Citation and a Memento.
- Centenarian Award:For renowned individuals who are above ninety years and are still physically active, independent and contributing to the society. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
- Iconic Mother Award:For women senior citizens who in the face of great odds, brought up their children and supported them in being high achievers in the field of their choice. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
- 10. Lifetime Achievement Award: To senior citizens, preferably above seventy years, who have worked in the field of ageing and made significant contribution in the field. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
- Creative Art Award:For winners of national/international acclaim for their contribution to literature, theatre, cinema, music, dance, painting, sculpture, photography, etc. and who continue to be active in their field well into their old age. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
- Sports and Adventure Award(one each for Male and Female): To senior citizens who have won international acclaim and who continue to contribute in the field of sports and adventure. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs.
- Courage & Bravery Award(one each for Male and Female): To senior citizens who have displayed extra ordinary courage in the face of grave danger. The award carries a citation, memento and cash award of Rs.2.5 lakhs. Normally, the Awards are not presented posthumously. However, if the death occurs subsequent to nomination having been submitted, the award may be presented posthumously.
Ex Ekuverin – 19
Tenth edition of the Joint Military Exercise Ekuverin between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force will be organised from 07 to 20 October 2019 at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra.
More in news:
- The Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces have been conducting Exercise Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Dhivehi language since 2009.
- The 14 days Joint Exercise held alternatively in India and Maldives focuses on enhancing interoperability between the two forces for carrying out counter insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations mandate.
- The focus of the exercise will be on sharing of best practices and acquainting each other with the operating procedures being followed while undertaking counter insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
- The last exercise was held in 2018 at Northern Area Headquarters, Lh. Maafilaafushi of Maldives. India shares very close ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial ties with the Maldives and Exercise Ekuverin will assist in further strengthening of these ties between the two nations.
Nomadic Elephant 2019
14th edition of Indo – Mongolian joint military training, Exercise Nomadic Elephant-XIV, being conducted over a period of 14 days, will commence from 05 Oct 2019.
More in news:
- The exercise will be conducted from 05 Oct 19 to 18 Oct 19 at Bakloh. The Mongolian Army is being represented by officers and troops of the elite 084 Air Borne Special Task Battalion while Indian Army is being represented by a contingent of a battalion of RAJPUTANA RIFLES.
- Nomadic Elephant-XIV is aimed at training troops in counter insurgency &counter terrorism operations under United Nations mandate.
- The Joint Exercise will enhance defence co-operation and military relations between the two nations. It is an ideal platform for the armies of both the nations to share their experiences & best practices and gain mutually during the joint training.
The 4th edition of annual military exercise KAZIND 2019 between India and Kazakhstan army commenced today at Pithoragarh.
More in news:
- The aim of exercise is joint training of troops in Counter Insurgency/ Counter Terrorism operations in both Jungle and Mountainous terrain.
- Exercise KAZIND 2019 can be termed as a facade of long standing strategic ties between India and Kazakhstan.
- As part of exercise, important lectures, demonstrations and drills related to counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations will be conducted. Both the Armies will also share their valuable experiences in countering such situations and also refine drills and procedures for joint operations whenever the need so arises.
- The culmination of exercise will be done on 15 Oct 2019 with a 72 hour exercise which will showcase the joint skills of soldiers while conducting Counter Terrorism and counter insurgency operations.
PRAKASH portal for transparency and better coordination in coal supplies to power plants
Government launched PRAKASH (Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony) portal. The Portal aims at bringing better coordination for coal supplies among all stakeholders viz – Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal, Coal India, Railways and power utilities.
More in news:
- This is an important step in ensuring adequate availability and optimum utilization of coal at thermal power plants.
Benefits of Portal to the Stakeholders
The portal makes available following information on a single platform –
- Coal company will be able to track stocks and the coal requirement at power stations for effective production planning
- Indian Railways will plan to place the rakes as per actual coal available at siding and stock available at power stations.
- Power stations can plan future schedule by knowing rakes in pipe line and expected time to reach.
- Stock at power generating station
- Ministry of Power /Ministry of Coal/ CEA/ POSOCO can review overall availability of coal at thermal power plants in different regions
- PRAKASH Portal is developed by NTPC and sources data from different stakeholders such as Central Electricity Authority (CEA), Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS) and coal companies. All reports are available in PDF/Excel format. However, to present information in a user friendly method, the Portal gives graphical representation of reports with details shown on the map of India.
- Currently, the Portal will make available four reports as detailed below –
- Daily Power Plant Status
- Periodic Power Plant Status
- Plant Exception Report
- Coal Dispatch Report
34total visits,1visits today