Dr. Krishnamurthy is new Member of Finance Commission’s Advisory Council
The Chief Economic Advisor, Government of India, Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian had been included as Member of the Advisory Council of the Fifteenth Finance Commission.
Role and function of the Council
• To advise the Commission, of any issue or subject related to the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Commission, which may be of relevance.
• To assist in the preparation of any paper or research study which would enhance the Commission’s understanding on the issue contained in its ToR: and
• To help in broadening the Commission’s ambit and understanding to seek best national and international practices on matters pertaining to fiscal devolution and improving the quality and reach and enforcement of its recommendations.
Water Related Issues should Now Become Our Priority- U.P. Singh
• Shri U.P. Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation expressed concern over reports of water crisis in many parts of the country, in a conference organized by Water Digest.
• Shri Masood Husain, Chairman, Central Water Commission stressed the need of water management to fulfil our needs of drinking water, irrigation and industrial sector for entire population.
Objective of the conference
• The conference was organized to raise awareness and encourage action around water and related issues.
• The main purpose was to create a platform to discuss and showcase the best concepts of water conservation and management in synchrony with the UN’s sustainable development goals (SDG).
Central Water Commission
• The Central Water Commission is a technical organization in the field of Water Resources.
• The CWC is headed by a Chairman, with the status of Ex-Officio Secretary to the Government of India.
• CWC is divided into three specialised wings. They are
1. River Management Wing (RM).
2. Designs and Research Wing (D&R).
3. Water Planning and Projects Wing (WP&P).
Responsibilities of CWC:
• Flood control and management.
• Technical appraisal of Irrigation projects.
• Checking the economic viability of Irrigation projects.
• Appraisal of multipurpose projects recommended by the governments of various states.
• Collection, compilation, publishing of the hydrological data in the country and its analysis.
• Data gathering with respect to rainfall, temperature, runoffs etc. CWC assumes responsibility as the central bureau of information in such matters.
• Construction, investigation and execution of the schemes required.
• Surveys, investigations, designs, schemes and construction work for the development of river valleys.
• Assist and advice the State Governments.
• Training of Indian Engineers in India and abroad in all aspects of river valley development.
691total visits,1visits today